Wheeler, Augustus Henry

Dates:
Autumn 1874 to 10 August 1915

War Service:
Major AUGUSTUS HENRY WHEELER of the 6th (Carnarvonshire & Anglesey) Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers died on 10 August 1915.

He was appointed captain in the 3rd (Volunteer) battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 19 March 1904. He was transferred to the 6th battalion on 1 April 1908, the date on which the old Volunteers were disbanded and replaced by the new Territorial Force. He was promoted to major on 27 October 1914.The battalion had landed in Suvla Bay on the Gallipoli peninsula the previous day as part of the 53rd (Welsh) Division.

He has no known grave and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial in Gallipoli.

Location of Memorial:
He is remembered on memorial at Christ Church, Forest Hill.

Details:
He was born in Lewisham in the autumn of 1874, the seventh child of Arthur and Mary Wheeler of Ewart Rd, Forest Hill. In the autumn of 1900 he married Adela Maud Liddell, a printer's daughter from Bodmin. He was a member of the Institute of Mining Engineers. In peacetime he had been a quarry manager, running the de Lank Granite Co quarry in St Breward, Cornwall and later the Eifl and Gwylwir quarries in Carnarvonshire. The granite facings for Tower Bridge came from the de Lank quarry and their stone is also to be found in Blackfriars and Putney Bridges.

Source:
CWGC
The Times
London Gazette
Kelly's Directories

Contributed By: Andy Pepper

Do you have more information on this person or the memorial they are commemorated on? If so click here to contribute information.

somerights20.gif

by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License