Roseveare, William Harold


War Service:
Second Lieutenant HAROLD WILLIAM ROSEVEARE of the 1st battalion Wiltshire Regiment was wounded on Sunday 20 September 1914 near Vailly while leading a section of his men to locate and take a machine gun. He died of his wounds at No. 7 Field Ambulance later that evening. He was commissioned into the regiment in April 1913 and landed in France with the battalion on 14 August 1914.

He has no known grave and is commemorated on the La Ferte-sous-Jouarre Memorial.

Location of Memorial:
He is remembered on the memorials at St Mary’s church, Lewisham and St Paul's church, Deptford.

He was born in Monmouth on 18 March 1895. He was educated at Little Apley School, Ryde and Marlborough College where he was Cadet Captain of the Officer Training Corps. When war broke out he was waiting to take up a classical scholarship at St John’s College, Cambridge in October 1914. He was the eldest son of the Rev. Richard Polgreen Roseveare, [1865 - 24 Feb 1924] rector of St Paul’s, Deptford and Mrs Mary Roseveare. His brother Bernard was killed in the Middle East in November 1917.

After the war, in his capacity as Canon of Lewisham, the Rev Roseveare officiated at the dedication of war memorials at Christ Church, Forest Hill, Brownhill Road Central School and at St Mary’s, Lewisham.

CWGC; de Ruvigny's Roll of Honour

Contributed By: Andy Pepper

Do you have more information on this person or the memorial they are commemorated on? If so click here to contribute information.


by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License