Loring, William DCM, MiD*


War Service:
During the South African War he served as a trooper in the Imperial Yeomanry [1900-1901] and took part in operations in the Transvaal. At the end of December 1900, by which time he had been promoted to corporal, he obtained his discharge and set off for home. Arriving in Madeira he learned that hostilities had broken out again and immediately returned to South Africa and rejoined his unit. In the Summer of 1901 he was commissioned into the Scottish Horse and became a Lieutenant and became a Captain 30 March 1903.

On 30 September 1901 a Boer force under Commandant Delarey attacked a British camp at Moedwill which held elements of the Scottish Horse. The regiment was understrength as many of the men were on detached duty elsewhere but put up a robust defence, driving off the Boers. The Scottish Horse casualties were 3 officers and 17 men killed, 12 officers and 41 men wounded. One of the wounded officers was William Loring. Seven officers ( including Lt. Loring with severe injuries to his right arm and thigh) and 3 NCOs and men of the regiment were mentioned in despatches arising from this action.
He was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal (London Gazette of 27 September 1901), commissioned into the Scottish Horse and twice Mentioned in Dispatches (London Gazette of 10 September and 1 December 1901) and awarded the Queen's medal with 3 clasps

The Scottish Horse were employed on coastal defence duties in Britain after the outbreak of the First World War but in September 1915 they landed at Suvla Bay on the Gallipoli peninsula where they were employed as infantry.

On 24 October 1915 Captain WILLIAM LORING of the 2nd Scottish Horse died of wounds on the hospital ship HMS Devanha en route from the Dardanelles to Egypt.

He was buried at sea and is remembered on the Helles Memorial.

Location of Memorial:
He remembered on the on the memorials at Goldsmiths College, New Cross and All Saints church, Blackheath.


He was 50, the fourth son of the late Rev. E H Loring, rector of Cobbham and later Gillingham in Norfolk and Charlotte [Nee Watson]. He was born at Cobbham Vicarage 2nd July 1865 and he was educated at Fauconberge School, Beccles and at Eton where he was Kings Scholar. Having become a Fellow of King’s College, Cambridge he worked for some years at the British School of Archaeology in Athens and later became Private Secretary to two Ministers of Education. He became Director of Education for the West Riding of Yorkshire and in 1905 was appointed Warden of Goldsmith’s College, a post he held until his death. He married Mary Theodosia [Allerton House, Grote's Buildings, Blackheath] daughter of the Rev Francis St John (and Lousia Katherine) Thackerary and had a son John Henry born 18th July 1906. They lived at 3 Grotes Building, Blackheath 1906 - 1915.

CWGC; The Times 4.10.1901; 4.11.1915

Contributed By: Andy Pepper
Photograph donated by David Loring his grandson.

Do you have more information on this person or the memorial they are commemorated on? If so click here to contribute information.


by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License