This Memorial bears the names of over 9,000 men who fell in the period from 8 August 1918 to the date of the Armistice in the Advance to Victory in Picardy and Artois, between the Somme and Loos, and who have no known grave. They belonged to the forces of Great Britain and Ireland and South Africa; the Canadian, Australian and New Zealand forces being commemorated on other memorials to the missing.
The Memorial consists of a screen wall in three parts. The middle part of the screen wall is concave and carries stone panels on which names are carved. It is 26 feet high flanked by pylons 70 feet high. The Stone of Remembrance stands exactly between the pylons and behind it, in the middle of the screen, is a group in relief representing St George and the Dragon. The flanking parts of the screen wall are also curved and carry stone panels carved with names. Each of them forms the back of a roofed colonnade; and at the far end of each is a small building.
The memorial was designed by J.R. Truelove, with sculpture by Ernest Gillick. It was unveiled by the Rt. Hon. Thomas Shaw on 4 August 1930.
Lewisham Residents on this memorial include:
- Adamson, Duncan Francis Charles
- Ballard, Frederick William
- Bennett, Robertio Charles Rudolph Busby, MC
- Buddin, Albert John
- Collyer, George Clifton
- Dier, Frank John MM
- Goddard, John Charles
- Hensman, Henry John MC
- Little, Ronald Henry
- Mitchell, Reathall Houghton
- Rainsbury, Frederick Thomas
- Sach, Herbert Edward
- Synyer, Richard Harold
- Winter, Harold Reuben