Thiepval Memorial

The Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme is located about 20 miles North of Amiens on the site of Thiepval chateau, one of the original objectives on 1 July 1916 but which was not captured until the end of September. The memorial, faced with red brick and 150 feet high, is visible for miles around. It bears the names of more than 72,000 officers and men of the United Kingdom and South African forces who died in the Somme sector before 20 March 1918 and have no known grave. Over 90% of those commemorated died between July and November 1916.

The memorial, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, was built between 1928 and 1932 and unveiled by the Prince of Wales, in the presence of the President of France, on 1 August 1932.

Lewisham Residents on this memorial include:

Do you have more information on people named on this memorial? If so click here to contribute information.

somerights20.gif

by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License