Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede

The Air Forces Memorial at Runnymede stands on Cooper’s Hill, Englefield Green, near Windsor overlooking the River Thames.

It bears the names of over 20,000 airmen who were lost in the Second World War during operations from bases in the United Kingdom and Europe, and who have no known graves. They served in Bomber, Fighter, Coastal, Transport, Flying Training and Maintenance Commands, and came from all parts of the Commonwealth. Some were from countries in Europe which were under German occupation but whose airmen continued to fight in the ranks of the RAF. The memorial was designed by Sir Edward Maufe and was opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 17 October 1953.

Lewisham Residents on this memorial include:

Local brothers Frederick William DFC and George Frederick Larcey are named on this memorial.

Do you have more information on people named on this memorial? If so click here to contribute information.


by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License