Address: Westwood House, Sydenham
(formally part of the Westwood House Estate the orphanage was opened in 1899 and the building demolished in 1952)
MEMORIAL PRESUMED LOST
Tablet of bronze, mounted on sculptured oak and bearing the names of twelve old boys of the home who died in the War. At the base of the mount is a ribbon upon which are inscribed the initials N.U.T.B.O. (National Union of Teachers Benevolent and Orphan Fund). The pediment contains the figure of a bereaved woman, by her side stands a small boy and above the figures the lamp of life is carved.
Designer Mr. H.H. Grimwood
Ceremonies: The tablet was unveiled on16 September 1922 by the Lord Mayor Sir John James Baddeley, proceedings were conducted by Mrs E.M Burgwin and the vicar of St. Bartholomew, West Hill offered a prayer.
Wars Commemorated: First World War
Harry Edward Angold
Jesse Alfred Malinon Benford,
Wilfred James Cook
Reginald Harry Jeffrey
Robert Francis Jones
William Harold Miller
Cyril Arthur Martin
Godrey Paul Wilden
Leslie Roberts Williams
Press: The Kentish Mercury 22 September 1922
Note Westwood House was set up by the The Benevolent and Orphan Fund of the National Union of Teachers and opened in 1899 the building was demolished in 1952
Do you have more information on the people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.