South East London Synagogue
OS Map Ref: TQ 360 760
Type: Solid Brass Menorah:
To The Nine Members Who Gave Their Lives In The Great War 1914-1918
Description: Solid Brass Menorah: a massive candelabrum with sockets for nine candles, each socket inscribed with the name and date of death of one of the men who lost their lives in the war, the candels to be lighted on each 'Yahrzeith'. The base of the candelabrum bore several representations of the 'Magen David' in relief and the inscription.
Wars Commemorated: First World War
The dedication ceremony was conducted by the Rev. A. Lewis on 19 March 1922 assisted by the choir of the St. John's Wood Synagogue, under Mr. Berman, who presided at the organ, and was attended by local dignitaries. The memorial was erected under the surveillance of Mr. Cecil J. Eprille, ARIBA
The Kentish Mercury March 3 1922 & The Jewish Guardian, March 3. 1922
Souvenir Brochure, 1957 The History of the South East London District Synagogue.
Note: The candelabrum was destroyed together with the old synagogue in a bombing raid on 27th December, 1940
According to the Jewish Chronicle September 3 1915, a stained glass window had been unveiled in memory of Rifleman Goldston.
|Joseph S. Heron||David Barmes||Lionel Goldston||Godfrey Levy||Lewis Levene|
|Bennett Chart||Philip Barnett||Montague Spurling||Philip Frank|
Do you have more information on the people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.