UKNIWM Ref: 12279
OS Map Ref: TQ 380 750
Type: Stone Obelisk or Cenotaph
To the Memory of Lewisham Heroes 1914 â€“ 1918 and 1939 - 1945
On each pier is inscribed:
These piers were erected to the memory of the officers and men of the 11th Lewisham Battalion, of the Royal West Kent Regiment who fell in the Great War
Description: The memorial takes the form of a cenotaph or obelisk on a square pedestal rising from an octagon platform of 3 tiers, standing in the centre of a circular paved space. It is situated in a garden area by the end of Lewisham Park Road. The entrance from the high street has 2 stone piers on either side, which were erected in the memory of the 11th Lewisham Battalion.
Foundation Stone: Laid November 1920 by the Mayor Councilor Chiesman, who stated that it commemorated some 1500 of of the 1/4th London Brigade RFA and 20th Battalion London Regiment [whose head quarters were situated in the Borough [See Holly Hedge for memorial] who headed the list in recruiting for artillery and infantry units respectively. His worship also announced that after the cost of the memorial had been met, the balance would be divided between the 2 hospitals in Lewisham Borough St Johns Morden Hill and South Eastern Hospital Sydenham.
It was dedicated and unnveiled on the 7 May 1921
World War II Addition of Plaque: Unveiled 11 November 1949 by Councillor GRD Bradfield LCC JP
Wars Commemorated: First World War and Second World War
Designer: Mr. E.A. Stone
Kentish Mercury 16 April 1920 p.4, 23 April 1920 p.9 and 13 May 1921 p. 7 (photo p. 9). Lewisham Journal 11 November 1943
Gregory, R.R.C & Nunn, F.W. The Story of Lee, London, 1923 photograph facing p. 385
Note: The site was given by the Earl of Dartmouth and the Lewisham Park Trustees.
Names: No Names are entered on this memorial only the above inscriptions and the Borough of Lewisham's Arms above the inscription on the base