Lewisham, East London Industrial School WW1 War Memorial


Location: East London Industrial School for Boys, 19 Brookbank Road, Lewisham.

The school closed in 1909. The school building was being used as a warehouse when it was destroyed by bombing during the second world war. The site, between Brookbank Road, Algernon Road, Ellerdale Street and the railway line, is now occupied by Viney Road.

The Industrial School Act 1857 set out to make provision for the care and education of vagrant, destitute and disorderly children who appeared to be in danger of becoming criminals. The idea was to remove the child from bad influences, give them an education and teach them a trade. The court decided which Industrial School the child was sent to, often far away from the child's place of birth. Usually children had to stay until they reached 16 although some boys were allowed to leave at 14 to join the army or work in the mines.

UKNIWM Ref: 12138

OS Map Ref: TQ 380 750

Type:Oak Tablet

Ceremonies:The memorial was unveiled on Saturday 11 November 1922 by Colonel Hugh Lawrence, C.M.G. and dedicated by The Bishop of Woolwich, Dr. Hough.

Wars Commemorated: First World War

Press:The Borough News Wednesday, November 22 1922 (photographs)
The Kentish Mercury, November 17 1922

Moore, J
Harvey, R.W.
Banks, J.
Croxford, J.
Clarke, T.G.
Davis, G.
Evans, G.
Garritty, T.
Hyams, W.
Haymer, J.
Mason, A. (M.M.)
Moneypenny, C.
Welsh, J.
Issett, H.
Brown, J.
Spurgeon, C.A. (D.C.M.)
Phillips, H.W.
Pochetty, A.
Walsh, R.B.
Gilbank, C.
Owens, J.S.
Pain, A.J
Benzie, W
Lamb, A.
Scott. G.
Hall, R.
Wiltshire, H.
Eustace, M.

Do you have more information on the people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.


by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License