Location: The East London Industrial School for Boys was at 19 Brookbank Road, Lewisham.
The school closed in 1909. The school building was being used as a warehouse when it was destroyed by bombing during the second world war. The site, between Brookbank Road, Algernon Road, Ellerdale Street and the railway line, is now occupied by Viney Road.
The Industrial School Act 1857 set out to make provision for the care and education of vagrant, destitute and disorderly children who appeared to be in danger of becoming criminals. The idea was to remove the child from bad influences, give them an education and teach them a trade. The court decided which Industrial School the child was sent to, often far away from the child's place of birth. Usually children had to stay until they reached 16 although some boys were allowed to leave at 14 to join the army or work in the mines.
UKNIWM Ref: 12137
OS Map Ref: TQ 380 750
Description: Wall mounted wood board with inscription and names engraved displayed in the school dining hall.
1899 South African War 1902, In Which the Following Old Boys of the School Took Part
East London Industrial School Lewisham
Wars Commemorated: South African (Boer) War
Ceremonies: Unveiled by General Sir J.D.P. French, the Earl of Ypres on 14 July 1903.
Note: The board commemorates the 35 old boys who took part in the war and the 6 who gave their lives, listing them by name, rank and regiment.
Names: The memorial has been lost. Click here for the names on this memorial
Do you have more information on the people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.