St Margaret Church
Lee SE13 5BT
UKNIWM Ref: 12267
OS Map Ref: TQ380 750
Type: Memorial Altar and Tablet
Description: A war memorial altar may have been created by placing a memorial tablet on top of an existing altar that had been moved from the sanctuary. The altar was returned to the sanctuary c.2000.
Glory Of God
And In Grateful And Undying
Those Who Fell In
The Great War 1914-1918
This Altar & Tablet Are Dedicated.
(Coat Of Arms)
They Gave Their Lives That We Might Live.
Carved into side of altar:
Hath No Man
Wars Commemorated: First World War
A war memorial altar and tablet bearing the names of fallen men from St. Margaret, was dedicated by the Bishop of Southwark assisted by the Rector, Rev. R. Maddings on St. Margaret’s Day 20th July, 1921. The tablet at the west end of the church was unveiled by Mr. W. A. E. Russell, people’s warden, and Mr. H. W. Dewes, an ex-churchwarden. More Details of Dedication Service
Note: It seems that when the original church decorations were restored c.2000 the memorial tablet was removed and placed in a garage. The altar shown here is from an illustration in Gregory & Nunn is now in the sanctuary. Was the tablet just placed on top of a repositioned altar? The altar looks like the work of de Wispelaere et fils 1897-9. Ref: Mills, Ian “Craftsmen of St Margarets.
Press July 22 1921
Other References: Gregory, R.R.C & Nunn, F.W. The Story of Lee, London, 1923 pp 349-351 Photograph facing page 368
Mills, Ian, Craftsmen of St. Margaret’s, Knebworth, 2006, ISBN: 978 1 903607 657
Names: Link to St Margaret WW1 War Memorial Names
WW1 31 Died
Do you have more information on the people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.