Hither Green, St Andrew Church Window War Memorial
St Andrew Church Window War Memorial

Location:
St Andrew Church
Sandhurst Road
Catford SE6 1XD

UKNIWM: 12307

OS Map Ref: TQ 380 730

Type: Stained glass window

Description:

East window comprising five lights. The centre light represents the City of God with Our Lord enthroned in glory, from the bottom of the panel streams the water of life. The two panels on either side are filled by two processions of saints, these are from left to right, St. Barbara, patroness of the building, St. Louis the Crusader, St. Alban, St. George, St. Longinus, St. Martin, St. Nicholas, St. Victor, St. Andrew, St. Jeanne d’Arc. In the corners are kneeling figures of a soldier and a sailor with the inscription beneath.

Inscription:
In reverent memory of the sacrifice of the years 1914-1918

Ceremonies:
The window was unveiled on Palm Sunday 20 March 1921 by the Bishop of Woolwich, Dr. Hough

Wars Commemorated: First World War

Press: The Kentish Mercury, March 24 1921

Names: No Names Given

Note: St Andrew Church is situated at the corner of Sandhurst Road and Torridon Road and is also listed under Catford.

Do you have more information on the people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.

somerights20.gif

by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License