Grove Park SE12 0DX
UKNIWM Ref: 12214
OS Map Ref: TQ 410 720
Type: Chapel dedicated within church with Roll of Honour
The Chapel is to the south of the chancel, in the east wall there is a recess of Kentish rag stone corresponding with the exterior masonry of the church. The recess contains the altar and is flanked by an ornamented arch in Bath Stone, with an ambry for the reservation of the Sacrament for the Sick on one side, and a niche a copy of an old arched piscina in Southwark Cathedral on the other. A series of corbels, including one in which a sleeping lion is shown, has been embodied in the design for the chapel. At the back of the altar are three painted panels, the centre one of which is an illustration of the Ascension. The names of those who died appear on a large three-paneled tablet in wood on the south wall of the chapel
“This transept was converted into a memorial chapel to the Glory of God, and in perpetual remembrance of the men of this parish who were killed in the Great War, 1914-1918. May they rest in peace,” and the following names, which are those commemorated"
The Bishop of Woolwich, Dr Hough, dedicated the chapel on Saturday after¬noon, June 30th, 1923 in front of a large congregation, in which were many relatives and friends of the 38 officers and men whose names are commemorated. In addition to the Bishop, the clergy present were the Vicar (the Rev. S. Luffman), the Rev. F. H. Rice (St. Swithun’s, Hither Green), and the Rev. P. Leeds (St. Nicholas, Plumstead).
Wars Commemorated: First World War
Designer: Mr. W.H. Rising, architect of Reading
Artist: Mr. Christopher Webb
Press: The Journal, Friday July 6, 1923.
Other publications: Gregory, R.R.C & Nunn, F.W. The Story of Lee, Lewisham, London, 1923, pp360-361. Illustration facing p.369
Richardson, Kenneth (Revised by Town, Christopher) St. Augustine’s Church Grove Park, A Guide for Visitors, 1984
Do you have more information on the people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.