City of London School Playing Fields
147 Marvels Lane
Grove Park SE12 9PP
UKNIMW Ref: 12283
OS Map Ref: TQ 410 720
Sports Pavilion and playing fields
The playing fields are more than 20 acres in extent; the large pavilion has a tea-room decorated by a series of war pictures symbolizing self-sacrifice.
Mr. Ralph Knott, the designer of the County Hall and his partner, Mr. E. Stone Collins, both of whom had been pupils of the school.
Artist: Mr. Steven Spurrier another old pupil.
Running across the front of the pavilion is the inscription
MCMX1V. Libertatis vindicibus vitam pro patria largitis condiscipuli MCMXIX
( 1914 To the memory of all champions of liberty who freely gave their lives for their country; fellow pupils raised this pavilion 1919 )
The foundation stone was laid on November 3 1924 by the Lord Mayor of the City of London, Sir Louis Newton, and the ground and pavilion were opened by the next Lord Mayor, Sir Alfred Bower, on July 10 1925.
Wars Commemorated: First World War
Note: The names of the 350 old boys who died are on marble panels in the entrance of the school in Queen Victoria St. EC4.