St George Church
UKNIWM Ref: 12288
OS Map Ref: TQ367729
Type: Side Chapel (Lost) and Church furnishings
Inscription: Their name liveth forever more
The Chapel of the Resurrection in the north isle of the church was dedicated to the 173 men of the parish who made the supreme sacrifice during the Great War and an altar and reredos were erected.
The names of the dead were inscribed on two panels. Palms and a crown of victory were carved in gilded relief on its oak altar front, which bore the inscription, and winged cherubim in gilt were painted on a blue ground above the altar table. Above was a large painting of the resurrection of Christ flanked by the name panels and surmounted by a freestanding canopy with Gothic tracery. On this and on the side panels stood carved angels.
The memorial was unveiled by Sir Edward Coates on Sunday 24 April, 1921 and was dedicated by the Bishop of Kingston.
The Kentish Mercury 21 November 1919 has a picture of the memorials's design.
The Kentish Mercury 29 April 1921, The Borough News 4 May 1921 (photograph)
Other References: Booklet The Parish of St George Perry Hill: The First Hundred Years 1880-1990
Note: The church has been rebuilt on its old site.
Do you have more information on the people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.