Sandhurst Road School
Catford SE6 1NW
Type: Stained Glass Window and Memorial Gardens
The Stained glass window is in the lower sash of a corridor window and is comprised of a stylized flower in various shades of blue, green and purple set within blue glass with the date January 20 1943 beneath.
The memorial gardens are enclosed within a small gated wall and a box hedge. There is a metal plaque by the entrance, and inside the garden there are two benches including a circular bench about a tree, a stone sculpture and decorative and inscribed paving.
Sandhurst Memorial Garden
This Garden Commemorates
Those Who Died In the
Bombing On The
20 January 1943
There is also lettering on some paving stones within the garden that needs extracting.
Names: are on the memorial in Hither Green Cemetery where many of the victims are buried.
The School was opened on 30th June 1904 by J William Benn Esq, MP JP, Chairman of the Council. It had 734 pupils in 1895 and by 1904 the figure had increased to 1967. It was bombed during the daylight raid on 20 January 1943 and much of the original building destroyed. 38 children and 6 teachers were killed in the Sandhurst Road School incident 31 children and 1 teacher are buried together at Hither Green Cemetery in a civilian war dead plot.
Press: South London Press, Friday January 17 2003, Evening Standard February 16 1995, The Kentish Mercury January 29 1943
Blake, Lewis Red Alert, South East London 1939-1945, published by the Author 1992.
Do you have more information on the people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.