Sayers Croft Field Centre,
Surrey GU6 7SS
UKNIWM Ref: 23559
OS Map Ref: TQ 909 400
Two murals: one depicts winter life and one depicts summer life at the school during the WW2. Each mural is mounted within a wooden frame. A dedicatory bronze plaque is mounted on an ash backboard and fixed to the dining hall wall.
Winter mural shows playing outdoors; playing cards; searchlights; a robin; nurse's inspection; theatre; canteen; classroom; Father Christmas; cinema; football pitch; an owl
Summer mural shows various sports; evacuee and his parents; church attendance; showering; farm help; aircraft smoke trails from overhead battle
In the centre of each mural is the school crest
School crest in the upper left corner of the plaque
Catford Central (Boys) School
In Memory Of South London Scholars And
Teachers Who Came Via Ashford And Elsewhere
To Sayers Croft, Ewhurst, From 1940 To 1945.
Here They Escaped Bombing, And V1, And V2
Missile Attacks By Nazi Germany On Their
Homes And Families
Not Only Did Many Teachers Serve In W.W.1 But All Resolutely Tackled New
Demanding Residential Duties When Imminent Retirement Was Overtaken By W.W.2.
Remembering Also With Affection And Respect The Younger Exemplar, "Harry" Gell
Who Deferred Teaching English And Joined The Yeomanry "Sharpshooters" Fighting
In Tanks Through North Africa, Italy And France
As A Post-War Head Teacher "Harry" Encouraged Arts, Drama And Environmental
Activities, Bringing School Parties To Sayers Croft.
He Lived Worthily: 21st, August 1908 To 15th, November 1997
This Plaque Is Commissioned By Subscribers Amongst Members Of The
Sayers Croft Evacuee Group
(Names of subscribers to the commissioning of the plaque in 1998 and of the serving Headmaster)
Dedicated 1st September 1998
In spring 1942 the murals were unveiled in the presence of Local Clergy and Dignitaries
On 1st September 1998 the Mayor and Lady Mayoress of Lewisham unveiled the bronze plaque.
In June 2003 the restored murals were re-dedicated.
Names: none given on the murals.