All Saints Church,
Blackheath SE3 0TY
Type: Memorial Screen
The lower portion of the screen is open with the names of the dead carved on panels on either side of the entrance to the chancel. The upper part is cored outwards towards the nave to give relief and is terminated with pedestals and angel figures bearing emblems of the Passion with an openwork design based on the English Rose connecting them and forming a cresting. The back of the screen is carried up with openwork tracery and cresting of the conventional vine pattern with the cross in the centre and pedestals each side bearing statues. The main beam carries the inscription.
To The Memory Of Brave Men Who Fought In The Great War 1914-1918 Their Name Liveth Forevermore.
Designer: Mr. Gerald Cogswell, Architect of the Church Crafts League
Built By: Mr. Herbert Read, St. Sidwell’s Art Works, Exeter
Ceremonies: The memorial was dedicated and unveiled in April 1920
War Commemorated: First World War
Press: Local newspaper reports 27 April and 4 May 1920
Do you have more information on people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.