The Military Cross (MC) is the third-level military decoration awarded to officers and (since 1993) other ranks of the British Armed Forces; and formerly also to officers of other Commonwealth countries.
The MC is granted in recognition of "an act or acts of exemplary gallantry during active operations against the enemy on land to all members, of any rank in Our Armed Forces…". In 1979 the Queen approved a proposal that a number of awards, including the Military Cross, could in future be awarded posthumously.
This is an incomplete list of Military Cross (MC) recipients from the London Borough of Lewisham area and is being added to as new people are found.
- Bennett, Robertio Charles Rudolph Busby, MC
- Binns, Percy Vere MC
- Burdick, Frederick William, MC
- Carr, Leslie MC
- Christie-Murray, Maurice MC
- Collins, James Henry William MC
- Crafter, James MC
- Dadd,Edmund Hilton MC
- Dale, Frederick Douglas MC
- Davey, William Henry MC
- Ede, Edwin William MC
- Fraser, Frederick Gordon MC MiD
- Fysh, Charles Edward MC* DSO
- Gardner, Philip John VC
- Griffin, Leslie Stewart Herbert MC
- Gudgeon, Robert Eustace MC
- Hearn, Robert Cecil MC
- Hensman, Henry John MC
- Hughes, Frederick Peter MC
- Jacobs, Alan Edward Aflalo MC
- Lane, Maurice MC MM
- Luchford, Harry George Ernest, MC*
- Moody, Leonard Leighton MC
- Robinson, Leslie Feargus MC
- Southon, John Edward MC
- Standrick, John Harold MC
- Stirling, Gordon Sheffield MC, MiD
- Storch, Herbert MC
- Weston, George Primrose MC
- Whidborne, George Ferris MC
- Wood, Donald Theodore MC*
CRAFTER, J Royal Flying Corps. He is remembered on St Dunstan's WW1 War Memorial.
Ellen H J MC 20th London Regiment. He is remembered on St Dunstan's WW1 War Memorial.
Elkington, Kenneth Army Awarded the MC July 1945 of Deptford (KM 27 July 1945)
GROVES, R H MC The London Regiment. He is remembered on St Dunstan's WW1 War Memorial.
McKinlay, John A awarded bar to MC April 1945 of Deptford (KM 20 April 1940)
McLaren, Robert A Army awarded MC August 1945 of Deptford (KM 3 August 1945)
Medway, Edward C Army awarded MC Feb 1943 of Deptford (KM 12 Feb 1943)
PULLEY, A S Army awarded MC September 1918. He was T/Lieut and son of Councillor PULLEY, W P. He was awarded the MC "for distinguished service at the Front".
Storch, Herbert, awarded MC September 1918. He is remembered on St Dunstan's WW1 War Memorial.
TAYLOR, M W MC Royal Irish Fusiliers He is remembered on St Dunstan's WW1 War Memorial.
If you know of any more, please let us know. Or do you have more information on the people named above? If so click here to contribute information.