One hundred and forty of the young men belonging to the Baptist Church, known as Lee Chapel, in High-Road, Lee, served in the war. Of these, seventeen gave their lives. A beautifully arranged service in their memory was held in April of the year following the Armistice, when the pastor, the Rev. F. Goldsmith French, gave an eloquent address.
Following upon this service it was felt that the memory of the men should be commemorated in permanent form, and ultimately it was decided to have the names inscribed on a bronze tablet, with inlaid lettering in white enamel. In addition to the tablet in the church, a framed photograph is hung in the schoolroom, and in the same part of the building an oaken and wrought Iron rostrum have been placed as part of the memorial.
The unveiling ceremony took place at the evening service on February 20, 1921. A crowded congregation was present, and this included members of the Girl Guides and Boys` Brigade, in uniform. The Rev F.G. French dedicated the tablet, which was unveiled by Mrs. Kerry, mother of one of the fallen men.
Reference: Gregory, R.R.C & Nunn, F.W. The Story of Lee, London, 1923, p.372.
Do you have more information on people named on this memorial or the memorial? If so click here to contribute information.